Thursday, November 3, 2011

New Sign for Textures


  My most recent project is making the replacement sidewalk sign for Textures in Hamilton.  I belong to the craft co-op and get involved in the maintenance and non-cleaning type of extra curricular activities.

  Sitting on the sidewalk in from of the store is an old blue sign that has been weathered to where it no longer has character, it is just beaten. This summer the store acquired all new signage for the front of the building and that last piece of the puzzle was to replace the sidewalk sign.

  Our sign makers supplied these printed acrylic sheets and I built the frame wood underneath.
   As you can see it is a face frame using pocket holes strong, fast and easy to do well, often my first choice for face frame construction.  I used elm and stained it with Watco Danish Oil.  Even though the wood work is virtually hidden I sanded all the faces and rounded all the edges.   We now have a sign that can be sanded and re stained every couple of seasons and it will look good for years.
   I have the luxury of being able to do a better job than is necessary, it is my little bit toward supporting the craftsman concept that Christoper Schwarz talked about in the Anarchist's Tool Chest

No comments:

Post a Comment