Wednesday, July 27, 2011

The Week the Maintenance gets done.

    Today there are no fancy photos or challenging questions. Today's blog is about the task that all workshop people hate and that all good work shop people must do.    Yes that's right I am talking about maintenance.  Since Monday I have been at work in my shop for  hours each day wood working but little of it has been working wood.  I have glued two cutting board blanks together but that is it for working wood.
 
   It is the none wood part of woodworking I have been doing this week and few people without shop experience know anything about it.  One of the this was I changed the blades in my planner, the instructions were pretty good, but since it was the first that that I have done that it took time.  Also my buddy Clive dropped off a large metal storage cupboard that enabled me to empty a couple of shelves.  I prefer to keep my shop stuff behind a door, or in a drawer, it reduces the dust build up.  The cupboard needed a couple of shelves made for it and I had to go and buy some shelf clips to hold the shelves up.  Not complaining, just letting none shop people know that that all takes time.  
 
  Years ago my wife brought 8 boxes of 12 empty plastic jars home for me.  I have filled all but two boxes of the jars and today I labeled the outside of the cardboard boxes and put them into the metal cupboard.  Not a hard job, but it took time.  Besides it is a good idea to sort through all those bits and pieces and hooks and fasteners now and then to remind you what is there.  Getting organized takes time now but saved time later.


   Sharpening of chisels and shop knives, yet another little job.  And the beat goes on.  By the end of the week everything will have a place and be in it.  All the tools will be sharp and lubed and ready to go. The dust collection system tweaked and improved, again. (I even changed the oil in my motorcycle on Monday)

  After the long weekend I will be ready for full on production.  I have a table at a craft show for the fall and what to make sure that I am ready with cutting boards to sell.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment