Friday, July 22, 2011

Small Box - bandsaw style

July 2001 band saw box
If you look around the other sites, like Lumber Jocks and Woodworkingformeremortals.com you will see that there have been a number of small band saw boxes featured lately.  The band saw box is something that can be a cute wee diversion as this one is or a work of high art, as some of the lumber jocks products are.

   This little box is made from left overs, scrap spruce I think, maybe even scrap 2x4.  I went to work on this box with the intention of working on my band saw skills.  One thing I discovered it that it is time for a blade change, even band saw blades get dull after a while.  Another thing that was impressed on me was the necessity for the initial block of wood  to be very square.  (mine wasn't and it made a difference in cutting the ends off. )

   My plan is to gather together some potential pieces for boxes and make a bunch as practise items. Practicing in the shop for a hour of so after supper is a nice escape from the heat without being a burdensome task. It should be rewarding to do because it is not a huge investment in time and so not heart breaking if it turns out to be fire wood when I am done.

  Since the wood was of basic quality I dyed the outside with aniline dye and painted the drawer with craft paint.  It turned out OK and I expect it will sit on a shelf, or turn into a play thing for the grand kids.  
  
   Better technique will get better wood.

No comments:

Post a Comment