Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Tom Fidgen - Made by Hand



MADE BY HAND
by TOM FIDGEN
     If you read this blog on a regular basis you know that I have no trouble admiring the work of other wood workers.  My well known wood working heroes are the famous and classic, Roys and Norms of the world.  I also admire the work of Steve at woodworking for mere mortals and Kari at the Village Carpenter.  Alas they are all imported heroes, men and women of talent and skill worthy of admiration but....imported none the less.
   For Christmas I received a book by a Canadian woodworker who I have grown to admire,  but being Canadian he is too modest to be a hero. "Made by Hand" by Tom Fidgen was very highly reviewed and I had been reading theunpluggedworkshop.com site for several months so I asked Santa to drop off a copy on his way by to the houses of the good girls and boys. (Santa and I have been doing business annually for so long he obliged me for old time's sake)  Tom's book is personal, interesting, informative and founded on common sense wisdom and experience.  The projects are designed to develop the wood workers skills while making useful and beautiful things.  As I read the book I felt that Tom was providing me with guidance and suggestions, yet allowing me to find my own way with a project and accepting that there is often more than one way to skin a (woodworking) cat.   
    My goal is to build the tool box and the wall cabinet in his book before Christmas 2011.  We will see if I can achieve that goal.

    If you go to Tom's site http://www.theunpluggedwoodshop.com/  
    you can see the projects from "Made by Hand" made by Tom and other people that have read and been inspired by "Made by Hand".

2 comments:

  1. Good luck with the projects and thanks for the great review. Make sure you go to my website http://www.theunpluggedwoodshop.com/ and download the free Sketch-up plans and the 'shop copy' pdf. files for all of the projects.
    They'll help you along the way for getting cut lists etc...
    You'll also see some examples of other readers projects and how they've taken the basics of my designs and incorporated them into their own work.
    Keep us 'posted' on the progress and happy shavings.
    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tom,

    Finished projects get into the project page, eventually.
    I'll keep you posted.
    cheers,Ian

    ReplyDelete