Friday, June 17, 2011

Re-learning or Why I should make notes in the shop

 
3 thread winders and what it looks like before I start to work.
   There is a company in Hamilton that provides historic products called Spencers Mercantile.  In the past I've made some thread winders for them to sell in their store.  I guess these were used before thread came on spools like it does now days.  Historically many of this type of small object was made out of bone or ivory, the last time I made four from poplar. Poplar was and is a common tree, easy to work and somewhat harder than pine. It was a harmless little distraction on a rainy evening.

   Last week Spencers Mercantile  ordered two dozen.  Now I have to get smart and develop a production system to make the thread winders efficiently.  Two dozen is not just fiddling around for a bit after supper any more.  Done properly 24 will not take too much time if my method is good. 

  First I gathered the wood, cut it with a mitre saw, drilled it on my drill press and then shaped it with a band saw. That represented only a few minutes work.

   Everything was going swimmingly, then I tried to decided how best to do the final shaping and sanding.  The following photos show some of the tools at my command. I left out the obvious, many different power sanders: finishing, belt and orbital.

needle files, knives and rasps
nearly every bit and burr that you can imagine

power shaft driven by my 1/2 drill.
   I worked away for sometime trying to quickly shape and sand the items smooth.  In my mind high tech + power = success.  I could not get a smooth enough result to suit me, regardless of bit, file or rasp; hand or electric powered.  In desperation I next  scoured the Lee Valley catalogue looking for the perfect burr for my drive shaft and planned a trip to their retail store for the following morning. After supper I took a coffee and went down stairs, not to work but to putter around, you know the routine, put some tools away and vacuum up the day`s mess, maybe fiddle with one small thing that was left on your bench from the afternoon.  Nothing big.  It was then that I discovered, or more correctly re-discovered the perfect tool.  The one that I had used the last time.

  The very best tool for quickly and easily finishing the thread winders.
a small bit of sand paper wrapped around a pencil.
   Sanding the thread winder is not that big a job,( It can be done by hand, quickly). When I have sanded the items smooth with the sand paper wrapped around a pencil I wax it.  It feels good to the touch and won't bleed colour.

   I spend hours in my shop, it is my Man Cave, my sanctuary, the place where  I can spend time doing things that are real.  Much of my working career was paper movement based, and not as satisfying as making stuff can be.   The thread winder is a case were had I made a few notes and taken a photo or two last time I would not have had to spend time re-inventing my wheel. The project would be done and I`d be onto something else. Will I learn from this experience?? as they say, Stay Tuned to see the thrilling conclusion.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment