Friday, June 3, 2011

From the Kitchen to the Workshop

    As a general rule I like to use the correct tool for the job.  It was years ago that I stopped using a butter knife for a screw driver, and years ago since I hurt myself doing that. 
   My wife is a super cook and baker and also likes  good tools. Over time some of her tools have proven to be as useful in the wood shop as the kitchen.
   Some of them are obvious, wax paper has reduced the glue-up mess to almost nothing (almost).  Aside from glue on my hands, shirt and pants the wax paper has kept it off my bench and out of the works on the clamps.  The spatula is a great tool for spreading glue, I think better than a putty knife because there is no chance of scratching the surface you are working on and it cleans up very easily, even glue doesn't stick to silicone.


  I started using the cast off egg beater in my chord less drill years ago.  It mixed paint very well and cost "zero". I did buy the tongs.  When I make toys I just dip the whole thing into stain in a large jar and instead of pliers or fingers I retrieve the stained toy with the salad tongs.

    I also bought the last two items in the kitchen supply department.  When I finish with shellac or varnish I usually mix thinner with the product to make it easier to apply.  For years I used various left over jars.  A glass jar is OK but these little stainless steel bowls are less likely to tip and wider at the top than the bottom so it is easier to get the last few drips of the mixture. And of course they are very easy to clean, and stack for storage.  Having them on hand means that I don't have to rummage through the recycling to find a bottle and then clean the last of the pickle juice out of it before I begin my work. Just more efficient and more pleasant.

   It is amazing how much difference a few little things can make when you are involved in a big project.  Small things can aid efficiency and reduce distractions. As you accumulate experience and wisdom more of the short cuts and tricks become part of your everyday method of work. 


   Share a short cut with your fellow readers. Write it into the comments or put it on my Facebook page at
Wood Worker  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment