Friday, June 24, 2011

Making Trim

     A couple of years ago I bought 1500 running feet of 2 7/8in x 1/2in x 14 ft. poplar from a local lumber yard.  The story was that the mill had run the stock and it was supposed to be 3 inch and they didn't want to store the wood until something smaller was ordered.  What ever the story I bought the wood at a very good price and survived the stare of disbelief when it arrived and occupied a big section of the family garage.

  It seemed at the time as though it would be a life time supply of poplar.   When I finish this latest project, trimming the recently completed family room, I expect it will be nearly all gone.

  Making trim is dead easy and fairly dull work, if you have the tools.  Lets look at the process in this situation.

  1. I have to cut the 14 foot lengths down to 5 to 8 foot lengths so that I can work safely and comfortably in my small shop area.  Anyway, I will have to put it up myself and 8 feet is a manageable length.

2. After I cut the poplar to length I run it across the router table to create my profile.

3. Then I run it through the table saw to cut the secondary piece that I glue/nail to the wide section to get a profile with a little bit of a shoulder.  I need a little more width to cover some of the irregularities in the recycled wood paneling that is going on the family room walls.

4. glue, nail, wait to dry and stain or paint depending on where in the room it goes.

   None of those steps is really challenging as long as you have the right tools.  I talked about the hold fasts being made by the blacksmith, Anthony Moore, in a previous blog entry.  Same thing, It is was dead easy for him to make the hold fast, all it took was a forge, mighty hammer,  a bending bench and 10 years experience and practice.

the profile features beveled edges instead of rounded edges.


    I stained the trim dark walnut and put it up against light pecan paneling and it looks pretty good.  A  couple more days of dedication and cutting of mitre corners and on to the next project.
   I'll show a photo or two next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment