Friday, April 22, 2011

With Lemons, Lemonade. With wood scraps, Trivets.

  As I make cutting boards and various other projects I create: off-cuts, or scraps, or kindling, depending on your point of view.  In a bin beside the table saw and another beside the sliding mitre saw short, useless pieces of wood accumulate over the course of time.  Since I am a wood junkie I hate to throw "shorts" away or even to burn them.  I want all my wood to be used, and useful and beautiful.

   On Wednesday I gathered together a bunch of poplar and oak off cuts, machined them to fit and glued them all together.  Shazam!! a trivet.  
  
   Every one needs trivets (hot pads).  Even if all you ever eat is take out pizza the hot pad helps keeps the grease from the box off the table top. 
  
   Since everyone needs trivets and if like me you have dozens of board feet of off cut shorts.  Make some trivets and donate them to the local, church, school, hospital, animal shelter, what ever's annual rummage/bake sale and let someone use the wood and be a good woodworking citizen at the the same time.  
  
   I'll get off my soap box now, I'll cutting it into little pieces to make hot pads.

1 comment:

  1. That's the spirit.
    It hurts throwing a piece of wood away. Every little cutoff no matter how small can be a great as a little shim or to fix a little crack, or when the chisel got dropped again on the workpiece, it can fill that space.

    Small pieces may also be great for some delicate details on inlays. Well, i appreciate what you are doing there. :) Keep it up mate!

    ReplyDelete