Monday, April 4, 2011

Monday Round Up

Hey All,
   This morning I have a series of places for you to check out and the latest stage of the bathroom shelf project.
  First of all,  woodgears.ca has an entry about a very basic but effective thickness sander, complete with plans.  I know that I have better results working from plans than from my head.


  Second,  I was looking at Roy Underhill's PBS site and watched a very good podcast called The Book Of Sloyd.
                               http://www.pbs.org/woodwrightsshop/video/3000/3007.html
 Roy looks at a system of education using woodworking as not only a skill builder but as a character building tool.  It is not your typical woodworking kind of theme but one that we should all be thinking about.  It addresses some of the questions of why the next generation does not do wood work: and how what has happened in our educational system has long term effects. 


  I believe, if you have never worked with your hands you do not understand or appreciate the skills and efforts of those that do. The blog is not trying to preach but I know that unless my grandkids get interested in wood work, my shop will one day be sold for scrap for lack of anyone to use it.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment