Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Traveling Tool Box - part 1

Traveling tool box
 Sitting on my rolling work bench is my traveling tool kit.  This last weekend I was into Toronto to see the kids and do a little job.  Since it is always easier to have your own tools I took this box and its contents with me.  What you can't see in the bottom is a couple of containers of various sized wood screws and a home made wrecking/pry bar made from a leaf spring years ago by my Grandfather.  

    Typically, I have a really nice little Stabila level and usually take  my drill with a fully charged battery and a few clamps. ( you can never have enough clamps).  Of course there is a hammer, a middle weight Estwing that is at least 35 years old.  Good tools cost, but they really last.  My Grandson will inherit the Estwing someday, and probably the Stabila level too.  There are a bunch a pencils and a couple of screw drivers and screwdriver bits for the drill.  I know my kids have a complete set of drill bits so I didn't take mine and I also know that they have a really good jig saw so I didn't take that either.
   
   My usual practice for a big job is to take this tool box with hand tools and fasteners and another bag with power tools that I have matched to the job.  I really, really try to limit myself to two hands  of tools.  Once the job needs more tools than that  it is usually big enough that I would rather do it in my shop where I have all the advantages and much less supervision.


   In the fore ground are four tools that I take with me most of the time,   and next entry will fill you in on them.  Two of the tools are fairly unique in North America, one French and the other Swedish and one is home made.  Look in on Friday or Saturday and get the rest of the story. 


cheers, Ian

No comments:

Post a Comment