Monday, April 18, 2011

Back to Work

Just a quick summary of things old and new to begin your week.


         http://www.workbenchmagazine.com/etips/2011/03/

   Work Bench Magazine has been publishing these weekly e-tips since April 2007.  Many of the tips will not be new, however there is often value in little reminders.  The one that prompted this entry is the cardboard for starting short nails in March 2011.  I knew that, but since I use mostly screws and glue that little trick had slipped my mind. It got used making a safety gate for our back deck last week, where I had to drive a bunch of short nails into thin wooden slats.

  I especially like tips like the cardboard nail holder because it means it replaces a special tool that would be seldom used. It saves space and reduces clutter in my shop.  For example I have a brad push. At one time it was close at hand and used often, but now it is in a drawer someplace.  I can't lay my hands on it quickly and so it stays in that drawer, since it would take more time and trouble to find than using it would save. Also, a brad push will not work on common nails, so the card board trick is really nice on 1 in. common nails.

   A tip that I use often and I can't remember where I learned it so I can't give credit were it is due but I won't take credit for the inspiration.  To mix paint you can buy a little bladed mixing paddle but I use an old Mix Master beater chucked into my variable speed drill.  It is quick easy and doesn't splash paint around when you are mixing.



  It is Monday and woodgears.ca has made his customary entry, this week it is home made table saws.  Matthias is an engineer and his work is at a level of precision that I can't imagine matching. 


  The plan is to use Monday as both a round up and a chance to introduce a new site or blog to you each week.  I have the luxury of being about to cruise around the net and see what is out there while you folks are off a work keeping the economy afloat.  The sites will be added to the list of links.


cheers,
I.W.

No comments:

Post a Comment