Sunday, March 6, 2011

New Profile Photo and Shop Space Questions

  My new profile photo is about 24 months old.  That is me, in my workshop with the crib I built for my Grandson.  It was the biggest job I had ever done.  I started with rough Poplar and re-sawed, planed and jointed every board.  I learned so many thing on that job that I have used since.  Should the need ever arise I could make a better crib, in half the time.


  The need is not likely to arise, short of a fire, since that crib will last many generations.  I hope that it out lasts me by many years.

    What brought the photo to mind is that last couple of very hard days have been spent working in our basement.  I built a lumber rack, a serious, large scale, bad ass lumber rack in the shop and then spent a long time trying to get the living space in the basement, well.... livable.  The photo shows that the shop didn't even have walls when I was building the crib.  Now there are walls, but too much junk.  I have to figure out how to get the space workable again.  Having cleaned up the other part of the basement, the shop is now piled high with boxes and no room to work.


    Is this ebb and flow of usable, vs. chaotic space typical of a workshop?  How often do you have to take your shop apart and reassemble it?  Storage and floor tools are making my space too crowded to work. How do more experienced shop people deal with this situation?
   
  I am dying to know.
cheers, ian

1 comment:

  1. Nice crib!! I would be interested to see some more pictures of it.

    You've seem my shop - stationary tools definitly take over and kill working space. It happends to most of us gradually - it creeps up on you. The best example I've seen is Jacques Jodoin's workshop - there was a link to it in the woodworing for engineers web page you published a week or so back. I can't imagine this guy getting 1 more tool in, but I'm sure he will get hundreds in.

    http://woodgears.ca/workshop/jacques/index.html

    Like Jacques, I will probably never re-organize my space - I'll just find ways to make do with the continually shrinking space - keeping as much as possible on wheels.

    ReplyDelete