Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Finished Knitting Needle Box


    This is the box I was asked to make as a gift for a knitter who has everything.  I built the box from Elm and stained it with walnut aniline dye suspended in wood alcohol.  Typically the stain is mixed with water, but I didn't like the way it raised the grain so I tried alcohol. The stain sets slightly darker than in water and very, very fast.  Since the stain sets quickly it is a fast finish, also not too bad to touch up.  Given the speed that the stain sets and how deeply it soaks in I may but a sealer coat on the wood next time. 

   On top of the stain I put "wipe on poly", another  time I will try my typical shellac finish but a paid project with a dead line is not the time to experiment.  I was afraid that more alcohol would lift the stain and I would get blotches everywhere.
I have got so I really like the aniline dyes for staining, they are quick and don't smell at all.  For years I used Watco Danish Oil and liked the results but it takes 12 hours at least to dry and nearly always takes two coats. Maybe if I were better organized or had a clean place for things to dry it would be ok.

1 comment:

  1. Looks nice, Ian. I would be interested to see more of this box (as I have a knitter who has everything).

    I've tried analyne dyes a few times - they work particularly well with hardwoods like maple where traditional stains are blotchy or do not penetrate well. I've always mixed them with water - spraying the project down in advance, letting it dry and then sanding - before applying the dye. Works well.

    ReplyDelete