Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Band Saw Boxes

This little box was one of my first efforts at making a bandsaw box. Also an early effort at flocking.  Steve at
woodworkingformeremortals.com  inspired me when he made a short "how to" video and then sent us off to a couple of other really good sites to see results and methods.
http://www.woodworkingformeremortals.com/2010/05/how-to-make-bandsaw-boxes.html

The box was made from a left over 4x4 and so lacking in real character. Since it was a prototype I also jumped in and tried to flock the inside. The box was more successful than the flocking.  I think I need to use painters tape to control the glue edges. Live and learn.  This poor little box was a further test bed for aniline dyes. I kind of like the orange, it does bring out the grain.  For all its courage in the face so many new things it just sits on my dresser and smells nice. (I love aromatic cedar)

This was also an early effort. Again a glue up of lumber from the cut off bin.  I like everything about this box but the design. Doesn't it look top heavy to you??
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?81703-Simple-Bandsaw-Box-Making-101&referrerid=5960
Is another link to a really good step by step method for making a box.

Now that my shop is showing signs of being usable again I want to get back and try this with better materials.  Something is cedar would be nice.

I'll keep you posted.

1 comment:

  1. I think the stacked box looks top heavy because it appears that the larger drawers are on the top. Typically, smaller drawers are on the top and larger ones towards the bottom. It's just the way we're used to seeing things.

    Having flocked a few times, painter's tape is a definite help!

    ReplyDelete