Wednesday, April 18, 2018

In The Shop, taking all the space.

  Currently I have a couple of larger projects on the floor/bench in my shop. I have four feet of the chair rail carved.  There is a bit of sanding to be done and then there is only sixteen feet of carving left. 




  The carving work station is a particular setup. I have have my bench raised to where I can work standing without  being too hunched over and having my back hurt.  This arrangement lets me carve for an hour or so twice a day. I am using two Kreg clamps, and two bench pucks from a previous generation to hold the work piece down.  

   The other project that is taking space and needs drying time is a  table that I am going to refinish. 



   This table was picked up off the street a few years ago in is used to extend our dining room table when the entire family is here.  The table is solid but a bit tired and shabby looking and was always going to be replaced with something new...if we found something. Well.....after five or six years hidden under a big table cloth we've decided to keep the table and I have to fix it and stain it and make it look 'good'. 

 First task is to glue the oak skin down where it has lifted over time.  The oak is not veneer, it is 3/16" think.  I am pleased with that because after it is glued back into place I have a couple places to repair before serious sanding and staining. I think it will be easier to make repairs to thinker wood. At the end I am going to hide its age and experiences by staining the whole thing dark walnut.

  I also picked up a bag of repairs from 10,000 Villages that I will work on while glue/stain/ paint is drying too.  





Wheat Bran and Rolled Oats Bread.

    I like to make stuff all kinds of stuff.  I like to bake bread. My latest is a Swedish loaf featuring wheat bran and rolled oats. It turned out to be a really good bread for toasting. Bread baking is a D.I.Y thing too.

cheers, ianw



No comments:

Post a Comment