Saturday, April 21, 2018

10,000 Villages Projects

  I spent a couple of hours last evening doing repairs for my favourite charity, 10,000 Villages.  I have repaired many wooden products from Hamilton's 10,000 Villages store. This time I had two boxes to repair.

  One hinge on this box had broken lose also the lid didn't close properly, which is probably what broke the hinge. I glued the hinge in place, once the glue dried I began the process of filing, sanding and shaping the lid until it fit correctly. Fitting the lid would be easy if the box were not assembled.  These repairs always require careful clamping and gentle filing/sanding.  I have a drawer filled with files and rasps that I could not live without.  One of the first tools I bought with my own money was a Nicholson mill file. I used to mess with bicycles as well as wood and a good file was a necessity. If you use files and rasps you will soon need a fine wire brush .  The acacia wood products that come from India clog my files easily, I'd be stumped without a cleaning brush.

 The next box had a similar problem. It would not close.

  I had to file wood out of the corners to enable to lid to sit flat when closed.  I have done this many times. The wood reacts to the climate change between here and the India sub-continent and something expands and something shrinks and pretty soon the lid doesn't close.  One of the great things about working on these products is the finish is shellac or wax and not stained so it is easy to hide the work that I do. The wood is quite lovely with just a clear wax coating.

  The third job was funny, I needed to make a beak.


  I tip for making a tip.  I picked a piece of dowel slightly over sized.  Then chucked it into my drill and ran in against a file and then sand paper until I got the size I wanted. Easy-peasy.

  The last job was a bit trickier.  I was asked to fix a white spot on a small bowl.


  I didn't look closely at the bowl when I picked it up.  When I looked closely at the light spot on the bowl it clearly was supposed to be there. That is a feature in the grain of that piece of wood. I tried to tint it a bit but found that it was  like trying to put stain on a glass bottle. That wood is HARD and not likely to soak up much colour. (probably why it is nearly always waxed or shellaked).

  The was Volunteer Appreciation Week, get out and give your time. Especially if you have a special talent that would help other folks out.

cheers, ianw
  



No comments:

Post a Comment