Wednesday, November 2, 2016

Table Built

  You can never have too many clamps.  I glued up the remaining shelves for Mary's table yesterday.  I milled the two inch boards from a slab of poplar.  Poplar is an interesting wood, there are several species included under the name "poplar" and so the wood can be pure white, or slightly greenish, straight grained and very hard or softer with tinted coloured gain running though it.  These shelves are fairly soft which made milling them on basement equipment easier.  I started with a slab 44 inches long, 2 1/2 inches thick and 10 inches wide. I was able to flatten the board on the planner because it was so thick the rollers could not flatten the cupping.  First I planned off the top of the cup (hump) then turned it over to plane away the edges. The jointer provided a square edge and I used my table saw to slice off six two inch boards. 
  Once the boards were cut I did what all wood workers do next.  I went to my wall of clamps, got down a bunch and clamped the boards together.  Every time I do this I marvel at the advancements in adhesive technology. Now I almost never use dowels, or biscuits when edge clamping.


  This table is a custom size, and that is what you can do when you have a work shop.  In reality the table is a bit taller than typical which allows the middle shelf. The photo doesn't show but the legs are tapered  to lighten the presentation somewhat. 


   I will spent a bit of time sanding the whole thing again and then Mary can stain it, paint it or what ever her heart desires.

  I saw the band new Kreg  mobile work centre , I can't wait to check one out in person. In the  The video looks great.
product


cheers, ianw

No comments:

Post a Comment