Friday, February 22, 2013

Tom talks Finishing



     This might be the best and most informative 25 minutes on You tube, for wood workers.  Mr. Iovino talked about all the issues that I have finishing my shop projects and has a solution that really appears to work.

   I have a commission I am beginning next week whose success will hinge on the quality of finish.  I know the wood I will be working with and so tomorrow I plan to get some boiled linseed oil and make a test board.

   I will report results early in the week.
      

   New Thought: only sort of connected with finishing


   If you do  not have a heat gun add it to your Father's Day wish list.  I bought one ten years ago and it is a tool that I use twice, times a year and would be in deep stew without it. ( a hand held hair dryer is just not as hot, surprise)  A heat gun helps you peal sanding disks, loosen some dowel joints ( on older furniture especially) and of course strip paint (keep the windows open and the air flowing).  I don't do any of the above things very often but when the task arises it is so nice to have the tool for the job.  I have always felt that it was a tool for which I got good value for my money.

ROK 80560 Heat Gun Variable Temperature w. Led
ROK 80560 

  



No comments:

Post a Comment