Monday, February 4, 2013

Desk Gadget Charging Centre

       At Woodworkingformeremortals.com Steve started his year off trying to get organized and his site and Facebook page have shown some really good projects, both large and small that he has made this year.  I follow Steve' site both for entertainment and inspiration.

   I have given up making New Year's resolutions and so did not catch the "get organized" spirit, but....I have undertaken a couple of projects lately aimed at reducing clutter and make my work space more comfortable and/or efficient. 

   When you come into our house there is a little space in front of the window beside the door that is called a breakfast nook. We've decided to use that space for a couple of small desks and our computers.  (breakfast is not worthy of its own space, in my opinion)



   It is actually a really pleasant space, with natural light and room to organize the parts of our lives that come and go out the door.  On the left is my desk, on the right Eva's, my desk is often pretty messy since when people come in the door things like gloves and car keys tend to end up on my desk. 

    Most of the time the clutter is not an issue since I have real desk space upstairs where we have am office and craft room. However, the other day I got motivated to make better use of my desk space down stairs.  I had a couple of little things to do and there was no space on the desk to work because, aside from the standard stuff that always drifts ashore on my desk  there was also a phone and a Blackberry Playbook laying there getting blood transfusions. 

   SO:
   I took the toys down stairs, looked in the scrap bin and set about making a charging/desk organizer because even I have my limits when it comes to clutter.  It is great to have a workshop, I love having an idea and then...going down stairs and making it.  This project is made from 3/8 poplar and 3/8 oak bits left over from some long forgotten project.



  Less than an hour later, there it sits, on the corner of my downstairs desk.  The Playbook is in back, my pocket calender is next and my old faithful phone sits in front.  The little unit is sitting on the rubber travel case for the Playbook and the wires hang off the side out of the way.

  The whole project used $00.00 worth of wood, four or five cuts on the sliding mitre saw and a fast trip past the round over bit on the router table.

   I sanded it a bit and then hit it with a coat of spray shellac.

No comments:

Post a Comment