Friday, October 5, 2012

Small Cat

walnut cat pin with pencil to show scale
  I have decided that it is time to get back to my roots and make some small scroll saw projects again.  The scroll saw was the first power tool that I got for my shop 10 years ago when I started back into serious wood working. I had an uncle that had become quite expert at scroll saw projects and I hoped to emulate him.  Little did I know the path I was going down.

   This winter I plan to spent time on small projects, carving  and improving my detail work. I have built book cases and flower boxes and dozens of cutting boards in the last while but I think it is time to work with some hand tools in the quiet and make projects that need fitting with files, and finishing with rifflers.

  This little walnut cat, from an off cut is the beginning. Actually it was cut with a band saw rather then the scroll saw.  I painted the details with acrylic paint and then spayed the cat with shellac. The spray shellac is expensive but quick, easy to use and leaves a nice finish.  Any time that I can spray and avoid brush marks is a good time.

No comments:

Post a Comment