Monday, October 29, 2012

Shop Tip

   Some times I have to take tools with me to work at my Mom's house and this last weekend I needed to take:

  my circular saw and a heavy extension cord. I had a water bed to shorten, a five minute job with power ( I don't want to guess how long with elbow grease), I like power. To haul those tools about I have always used this:


    a crate which dates back to when we switched from quarts to litres and was discarded by the store for which I worked.  Carrying the crate, when full is an off kilter,  awkward experience.  I have fumbled along in this way for years; decades actually.

  This weekend I put on my thinking cap and created this:
                                                                                                          
this is a handle made from elm with dadoes cut in each end and stops glued on to keep the  crate from sliding off.

  I cut the handle out on my band saw and then shaped the square edges with a draw knife and chisels. After sanding the hand contact section I put it to work.


  The dadoes and stops keep the crate from sliding off and the broad ends help keep the crate stable when it is being carried around.  

 n.b Spend the money and get a good extension cord for your power tools.  I have two good 25 foot extension cords and  so never have to worry about starving my power tools because of low amperage at the end of the line. 

No comments:

Post a Comment