Friday, October 19, 2012

My Start to Carving

This is the beginning of my "Simple Simon" penguin.  I have the general shape and I was able to include the bow tie.  As I work on a project I learn things, and try and remember them for next time.

1. The pattern was on 1 1/4 square stock.  Mine is 1 1/2, mime is too big and so too slow to carve.

2. Dampen the basswood, it cuts easier when it is slightly damp, not bone dry.

3.One the knife is sharp, then hone it some more.  This needs a really sharp knife to be nice to do.

4. Practice, practice. practice.


   Safety is important.  I have puncture resistant gloves, I wear the left one and a thumb protector made for me by Art at the Carving club on my right thumb.  You should never take a short cut when it comes to safety and being safe is not difficult.

knife and carving kit
    The basic kit that I have put together for carving fits into an old leather shaving bag. I use the knife that is featured and I have a couple of other knives in the kit, (mostly to sharpen pencils).  As well as a couple of very small chisels to clean up little corners and fit into tight places.  I have a ceramic stone for heavy sharpening and a leather patch for honing and that is all it takes.  If you just want to play quietly with wood, carving maybe the best way to go.

    I think that I will get a small tool box with a latch and handle so that I can carry some wood and a few other tools, pencils, rulers etc. but it is not a high cost past time.  
   
   Simple pleasures are often the best pleasures.


No comments:

Post a Comment