Monday, July 9, 2012

Old Clock

As I continue to rave about wood this clock comes to mind. 
This is the label that is pasted to the bottom of this clock.  


   Twenty nine years ago I made that clock for my Grandmother. She has been gone for a few years now and the clock sits in our bedroom.  My Grandmother and my Wife are flower lovers and so the clock face continues to be popular.


   In 1983 I was living at home and working in a factory down the street raising money to go back to school.  I always made my had money to pay for post secondary education before I went to school, so I always graduated with no debt.  Also I worked at couple of heavy, boring and poor paying jobs, these taught me to go back to school and get some marketable qualifications. 


   In the back yard of my parents house is a small workshop, about 10 by 12 that I built and then worked in for a couple of years.  This clock is one of several I made back then, it is constructed from reclaimed lumber and painted with 5 or 6 coats of latex paint.  I remember painting and sanding, and painting and sanding, just like you would with a varnish finish.  What I got for my efforts was a mirror smooth white finish that has stood the test of time for 29 years. (not bad).

   I was replacing the battery today and see that I could take sometime and do another paint job, there is a good chance that will be the last one that I have to do.


   I also did a search and find that Murray Clock Craft is still in business.  I bought  my faces and my clock works from them years ago.  It is nice to see a company that has stayed in business for so long.





No comments:

Post a Comment