Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Chisel Rack

   As I work on projects I also work to make my shop space more efficient and easier to keep clean.  Recently someone commented that a workshop is never finished, which I believe to be true.  The nature of the projects change and new tools arrive and old ones depart, all of which means floor space and bench space evolve over time.


   On the wall above my bench I made a rack for my chisels last winter, I knew that it was a prototype so I didn't make it out of nearly nice wood, when it was done it was OK but immediately I began redesigning the rack to use less space.


   
 The first thing I did was lay out one set of chisels to give me an idea of the spacing I needed.
    Next I cut out a bunch of spacers and glued and nailed it all together.
  
    Again this is a prototype, but this time I really like the design, it takes up much less space and can hold chisels two row deep, the trick.


  
  The two racks are attached to the wall at one end with a hinge.  When I don't need access, I push the rack against the wall where it is held firmly out of the way by rare-earth magnets.  This makes much better use of the space.  Now I need to find the time to make quality racks with good hinges and then the chisel storage question will be solved for all time.

No comments:

Post a Comment