Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Fein Sanding

Fein FMM 250Q Select Plus MultiMaster Oscillating Detail Sander Tool Kit 012817410

   Traditionally we look to the Fein Multi-Master as a cutting tool, which it is, and an outstanding one at that.  When we focus on this tool's flush cutting ability we over look some of the other aspects of the Multi-Master and miss opportunities.

  I bought my Multi-Master a couple of years ago after working a cheap clone to death.  The clone's motor was underpowered and in sustained use the body of the tool got so hot that I couldn't hold on to it.  Also the clone did not have dust collection as part of its design.  Sustained use, dust collection, you can see where I am going with this blog.(I hope)


    I admire woodworkers that are "all hand tools, all the time", and while I own and use rasps, planes, scrappers and files I often reach for a power sander.  I suspect that further training and practise would enable me to achieve quality results with hand tools alone, in all situations, but some times there is not enough time.  Early exposure as so plays a part, one of my first power tools was a 3 by 24 inch belt sander that has 100's of hours of work on it and it still runs great.  (it is noisy, and aggressive and has no dust collection, but it does the job).


     Having that machine sanding background I was immediately taken with the possibilities of the oscillating  tool as a sander. I first bought a clone and then found that I had much more work for the tool than the it could handle, thus the melt down.  If you have wood to shape, projects with tight inside corners or just want to sand your way through the grit and saw marks to check out the figure in a piece of wood the Fein does the job in no time. 


   As a bonus Fein has a full spectrum of accessories, though I confess to making my own sanding disks rather than buying original equipment.


  

No comments:

Post a Comment