Monday, December 26, 2011

Slip Joint Mortise and Tenon Joints

 A few weeks ago I was in Barrie at the JessEm factory and picked up a Pocket Zip Slot.  The Zip Slot idea has been around for a number of years but I had not had a chance to try it out until now.


  My initial impression was that the system for cutting mortises for loose tenons looked like a good idea and once I got it in hand my impression was proven correct.  I can't see the system replacing a mortising machine but for light use it works just fine.  

 After playing with it a bit I undertook a project, an actual project  shows the ease of use and quality of finish best.  The mirror in the photo had each of its corners reinforced with a loose tenon.  It made for a much stronger miter corner and it made clamping easier too, since the joint could not slip out of alignment as easily.


While the instructions say that a cordless drill is all that is required I found that my corded drill spun faster and so did a quicker and cleaner job cutting the slots.



  Like doweling, these loose tenons will find their way into my collection of tools and be used various times over the course of the year's work.  I found the Pocket Zip Slot quick and easy to use and liked the results I achieved.


The Small Print:
  I did not buy this tool, it was given to me by Darren Smith, the inventor and man behind JessEm.  

No comments:

Post a Comment