Friday, December 9, 2011

Clock Kit Up Date.

   I have worked away on the Clock Kit for a week and a bit.  As of yesterday I had the pieces made and was ready to start putting the clock together.  Until now it didn't look much like a clock at all, now it maybe a clock one day, all  the pieces align very well and the only problem I encountered during initial assembly was a piece I had glued together backwards.  It was just carelessness on my part not a flaw in the instructions. I have been very pleased with the instructions and quality of the kit.  Given my issues with fine/detail work I am quite positive I did the right thing by buying the whole kit, pre-cut.  The next time I will probably just buy the plan and gears, I can't imagine cutting the gears on my scrolls saw, the rest of the clock I could make myself, and personalize a bit.


  Now I need a quiet time to sit and study and assemble the clock. That quiet time may not happen until next week sometime, the Christmas season has us very busy with music, friends, family and all the panoply  of the the season.


  Another project that needs to be completed before Christmas is a box for a person's dresser, not really a jewel box, just a nice box for stuff.




   There is a tray that sits in the bottom, the segmented tray on the left sits on top of the bottom tray and the top, is a top.  I made the box out of oak that was re-sawed to 3/8in. and the top is cedar with an inset strip of roasted maple.  The cedar will keep things fresh  and the roasted maple is a real nice dark contrasting colour in the lid.

   I stained the box with Watco Danish Oil and then have put 5 coats of white shellac on to seal and make it shine.  There remains the question of a knob, or handle to make getting into the box a one handed operation.  I really don't know what to put on the top of this box, I think it needs a small and elegant knob of some type but I don't think the knob should be round. I am going to have to experiment, in all that free time that is available during December.

No comments:

Post a Comment