Monday, December 12, 2011

Clock Kit Update. #2

  Last entry said that I needed a quiet time to assemble the clock parts, Saturday afternoon was that time.  Right up until I got it working I would have bet against my success. This was the fussiest thing that I have ever made, I think I am a side table and cutting board guy, this was something else.

  This was not really a wood working project as much as a wooden kit assembly project. As a foot note, I was terrible at making model airplane kits as a kid, always too much glue and not enough patience.  Wooden-gear-clocks provided a very good kit, and if I were more mechanical (and more patient) it would have been easy to build, all the challenges were self created.  I think I will make another one but next time only buy the gears ready cut, the rest of it I think I can make, now that I understand what each thing does and where it goes.  Creating a picture in my head has always been a weakness of mine, now that I have seen the finished product I could do it much more easily.


  There remains minor tweaking;  now the face is on, as are the hour and minute hands.  I have had the clock run for a couple of hours before it gets tired and stops ( something is binding, some place, I think). I am confident that I will get it running a full drop cycle before Christmas and all the  details of fine adjustment and where to hang it will have been worked out.


   

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations! It looks very different than it did as a bunch of cut-outs, still attached to the board.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking good! Thanks for the updates!

    Jeff Schierenbeck
    www.wooden-gear-clocks.com

    ReplyDelete