Monday, September 12, 2011

Clamps-"c" clamps

"C"clamps have a special place in my heart for several reasons. 


 One, they last forever, and being very low-tech they always work. Good 'c' clamps are not the cheap ones.  Cheap clamps twist under pressure and then there is nothing left but to swear and start over. Cheap clamps don't save any money in the long run, since good clamps last a life time.


 Two, I have a couple of very experienced clamps from my Grandfather's work shop. Proving the fore going comment about good clamps lasting a life time. 

Three, they really, really clamp tight and stay put.


 These clamps are want I use to clamp something semi-permanently. I often turn to 'C' clamps to hold my machinist's vise to my woodworking bench.  The clamps hold as tightly as if I had the vise bolted to the bench.  I also use 'C' clamps to hold my bench sander and small drill press in place.   'C' clamps even hold up a dividing wall in the family room, creating a temporary bedroom.  In a season or two the wall will come down, but while it is held up with 'C' clamps it feels permanent. I have used a 'C'clamp to lock a garage door from the inside too.


 The small clamps are used to hold a guide rail that I use with my circular saw to give me straight lines when I break down sheet stock.  The clamp holds the guide securely and doesn't get in the way.

   You can never have too many clamps.  The 'C' clamp is just one of that crew.

No comments:

Post a Comment