Friday, September 16, 2011

Irony or Reality

 After having read Christopher Schwarz's recent book, The Anarchist's Tool Chest * I was moved to resolve as he did not be built out of plywood again.

   Last spring I built a self unit for my kid's family room, it is a sort of hybrid piece that fits around their fireplace. I am now making good on the promise to make the partner unit for the other side of the room.  Last spring's piece was built from plywood, and serves it purpose. 

   This is the base unit I just completed.  I have plenty of elm available so the piece is elm. So decisions are easier than others.  If you look at other projects on this blog elm finishes well and takes colour very consistently, it is an under rated wood in my opinion.  Since it fairly stringy  extra care is needed when planing, sanding and finishing, but the result car be quite individual and attractive.  I used pocket hole joinery, in spite of admiring much of the " Hand Tool" gospel, I still like pocket holes. The pockets will all be hidden or filled as the unit is finished.



This is the reality, the unit is being painted white to blend in with the wall colour.  In some ways it is ironic, but you know, I would rather built with wood and have it painted than built with plywood.  The unit will now be a nice painted piece,  I will be putting several coats of paint on and sanding between coats so the final result will be very pleasing to the eye, and meet the needs of the kids.


Stained furniture can be lovely but it can also make too much of its self.  Ones living space should be comfortable and if all the furniture thrusts itself to the foreground the space can visually noisy.  Carefully constructed and well painted furniture has its place in a room too.

   I am going to try, try, try to follow the gospel and abandon sheet stock.  Working in wood rather than sheet stock is much more satisfying and I feel the results look better too.

http://lostartpress.wordpress.com/2011/04/21/details-on-the-anarchist%E2%80%99s-tool-chest/

No comments:

Post a Comment