Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Small Jobs and New Tools

   Last weekend I was at the Hamilton Wood Show and wondered past the Dura-Grit booth.  In the past I had purchases a couple of their sanding blocks and this time I saw that they were selling rasps.  I am very happy with my sanding blocks and so added the rasps to my collection of tools.

   One rasp is square with two sides 60 grit and the other two 120 grit while the round rasp is 120 grit. The section with the bonded grit is about 6 inches long and the handles are small in diameter but that is easy to fix.  I expect that I will wrap the round rasp's handle in tape.

   I make an assortment of smaller projects and I also do some scroll saw work.  Both types of project usually need small touch ups before finishing, until now I have used needle rasps, files, hand held rotary type tools and an all sorts of tricks and jigs.  These new rasps do a good job on small edges and I found working with them easy. Things I especially value in these rasps are the blunt ends and the length of cutting surface vs. the sharp ends on the short little needle files.  Cleaning out inside cuts on scroll saw projects will remain a needle file task but the outside edges will be touched up by these rasps in the future. ( and I will not poke myself if my mind wonders)


This is an example of the current small job.  These are Thread Winders.  A local store, Spencer's Mercantile   specializes in historic re-enactment products and I have been making some small things for them. The latest products are these thread winders in poplar, the new rasps worked great for easing edges after I cut them out on the band saw.

No comments:

Post a Comment