Thursday, February 3, 2011

Prototypes: Yes, No, where to they go?

   Over the course of my wood shop life I have made products for resale or as gifts.  Regardless of the intended future, generally speaking I need to make a prototype to work out the details and proportions, something I learned from Norm Abram on the New Yankee Workshop.
  
  Sometimes the prototype ends up as fire wood if it didn't really work out and other times the project finds new life in a secondary use. All shops need storage and will take whatever they can get. So the various shelves, book cases and credenzas are full of tools not knick knacks or linens. 

    The prototypes that turn out pretty well then get gifted to my long suffering friends and family. After all, I put in some serious time to create the project and if things go well the only difference is it is cheaper wood or painted instead of the stain finish of the "good copy".
  
   So my question:  Do you build prototypes and where to they end up?

No comments:

Post a Comment