Sunday, May 14, 2023

Grinder and Sander - compared

  This morning I set out to do a blog comparing the 4 1/2 grinder with sanding disk to a 7 inch sander with a sanding disk. 

  Both are great tools, sadly I can't show you any pictures of my tools because the computer doesn't feel like letting me load photos today.  I am assured that I am the problem.  However, it could be a software problem, or a hardware problem with my camera: or a software problem or a hardware problem with my computer or.....a software problem or hardware problem with my router or something in the system, but it seems I lack  understanding and unreasonableness  for expecting  digital technology to be reliable.  This is why I like working with wood, no bull shit.

I found the 4 1/2 inch grinder spins so quickly that it is a trick not to get burn marks on the wood,  The big old seven inch disk sander removes lots of material, in a hurry but does leave swirl marks to be sanded away later.

7 inch
4 1/2 inch

  If you look at the various models of these tools available you will see a wide difference in pricing. As a rule, the more expensive tools run smoother, quieter and and run cooler. I expect that you would also get more hours of service life for more money, though I don't know that for a fact. I do not have the cheapest nor the most expensive. My two grinder/sanders are not used every day and as a hobby woodworker I do not use them for long stretches at a time. Consequently these tools of mine are 20+ years old and still going strong.

  If one were to finally die, I would replace it immediately.  Unlike digital technology these are  two tools I can count on.


cheers ianw


No comments:

Post a Comment