Monday, May 1, 2023

Basic Woodworking?! with sanders

   Sometimes making nice things is quite easy.  If you have really good raw materials and don't get crazy you can get a fine result with almost no skill.


  I was given a piece of ash and all it needed was  sanding and hemp oil to finish.

  I started with  disk sanding using my 4 1/2 angle grinder initially to flatten the slab and then belt sander time with 80 then 120 grit belts.  By the time I was done  the garage was filled with dust even though the door was open.

  Once I got the slab flat and mostly smooth I moved into the shop and used my random orbital sander to get a glass smooth finish.

  I put two coats of water based varnish on the bark and three coats of hemp oil on the face.  We now have a charcuterie board that is nearly three feet long.  Isn't that want every family needs?


cheers ianw




No comments:

Post a Comment