Tuesday, April 26, 2022

small April things.

  It has taken a little while to get back under full steam.  This morning I tested negative for Covid-19 after a couple of weeks interrupted social and personal life.  My nose is still a bit stuffed up, but, that is normal for me in seasonal transition times.
  So, what have I been up to. Nothing big naturally but  an assortment of smaller things.  The soap dish below has been in use for a few years (July 2019) and when I decided to scrape it clean I added some tail detail.  Basic objects used to enjoy a craftsmen's attention in the olden times, I think I like a bit of carving on my projects.


  Aromatic cedar is a lovely and interesting wood, also prone to cracking and splintering. I was asked for some interesting buttons to adorn hand knit slippers. 




  It is easy enough to shape some buttons using needle files and a bit of patience. 

  The last wee thing was a couple of white oak spatulas.   This is the last of a small bundle of 3/8 oak, I don't remember whence it came. I have used this quality wood for small boxes and things over the years.  Many years ago I cut out a spatula from the wood that is used most days in our kitchen and looks to be good for years yet to come.


  Oak is a great wood for kitchen tools.  It is strong and doesn't suffer terribly from being wet and wears  like, like 'oak'.  Plastic melts and metal scratches 'non-stick' surfaces, it is hard to beat wood.

  Currently I am cleaning up and re-shaping a wooden bowl and then, I guess it is time to find an important project to undertake,I guess.

cheers ianw

 

No comments:

Post a Comment