Thursday, April 7, 2022

Little Oak Projects

  The first of two oak projects is a floor heating vent.





  I have several small pieces of oak left over from large projects and it has come in handy for both of the projects this week.   I drilled the holes on my drill press but mostly spaced them by eye. I even see a hole that I missed.  Oak is good for this type of thing, it is strong, sands smooth as glass and looks great with a surface finish like garnet shellac.  Shellac is good for this application since it only gets harder with heat and air exposure, and it is super easy to repair when the time comes.

   Eva asked me to make a small display easel.  Again, oak, there was some in the off cuts bin.  A jig saw made the cuts, easy sanding with drums and more shellac as a finish.

  


  It was important that the easel looked nice, wasn't too clumpy and did not distract from the wonderful slumped glass panel.

  These two little projects were fit in around the top.


  The coffee table top sits slam in the middle of my shop, taking up all the work space on my work table. I have leveled it and sanded it and begun to pour two part epoxy resin into the voids and cracks.  Resin and I are on our first date.  It appears as though I am going to like the results, but...the jury is still out.

  cheers ianw









No comments:

Post a Comment