Tuesday, May 10, 2022

The Right Tools-A personal rambling meditation.

   Okay,  I confess that this is not a project blog.  Not even really a wood working blog.  But..it is about tools.

 For the last week or so the weather has finally become spring like and Eva and I are gardening, fussing around in the car and clearing away the winter chaos in the garage. In the workshop I have repaired some winter damaged yard ornaments, painted my wheel rims and repaired some boots just to name a few jobs.

  All repairs are easier when you have the right tools.  Not just a tool that is adequate but...the right tool.  I was able to repair the broken things because I have a selection of glues and clamps.  I have two part epoxy glue and water proof glue and rubber cement etc.etc. etc.  Once the glue is smeared around I have C-clamps, and F-clamps and spring clamps and bar clamps etc etc etc.  If you have the correct glue and the clamp that will hold the thing still until dry you are almost assured success.  

  I was reminded of "tools" last Friday when my friend arrived to help me change my car tires from winter to summer.  He brought a floor jack, a cordless impact driver and a torque wrench.  We had the tires changed in 15 minutes.  What did I provide? Encouragement as well as coffee and cinnamon buns.  I remember the struggle, changing tires with the scissor jack from the trunk of the car, and the supplied tire iron and not knowing if the torque was right or not. Also, it took more than 15 minutes. 

  I put my snow blower into storage the past week.  The snow blower is 32 years old, but a respected and slightly more expensive brand. At this rate I may never have to buy a snow blower again, if it were stolen I'd replace it with its modern model from the same company. It started on the fourth pull in December and the 2nd or 3rd every other time all winter.

  I also got my maxi-scooter out of storage last week. One out, one in.  The scooter sat from last November until last week on a battery tender and started as though it had only been days since I was ridden last. It is an expensive Japanese Maxi-scooter with 62,000 km on it, it has been dead reliable for 14 years. There were other cheaper scooters but.....good tools are best.

  Personally I hate tools that let me down through no fault of my own.  I service my equipment, keep it clean and rust free and so expect it to work.  I am not interested in quirky tools and equipment, it may cost a bit more,  but I have found that quality tools and equipment are a good investment. 

  Not having to worry whether your tools and equipment will let you down  allow you to concentrate on the job while working safely and with enjoyment.

 amen.


cheers ianw  

No comments:

Post a Comment