Friday, March 25, 2022

Spoons - Kolrosing

  Having recently acquired a second hooked knife and enough practice to get the best from those knives I've been carving wooden spoons.  The spoon on the right is poplar, a very straight grained wood that is soft for a 'hard' wood.   


  The spoon of the left is bass wood. Neither of these spoons are meant as cooking tools. I guess they could be used as 'spoon rests' on a kitchen counter or maybe as serving spoons for potato salad or the like.

  I carved these as idle time killers and to experiment with carving/adding design detail to the handles.   A while ago I watched a You Tube video on Kolrosing, and decided I would like to give it a try. 

  As you can see my initial efforts are crude when compared with the craftsman on the video, but Rome wasn't decorated in a day.

  It is always fun to try something new.  As is often the case, the internet has a host of useful information on this traditional wood craft.

cheers, ianw




No comments:

Post a Comment