Thursday, March 10, 2022

Making Dust

 Before Christmas I began work on this live edge coffee table:


 It got sorted out enough to use over the holiday but now it returns to the shop for more work and the epoxy crack filling.

  The table was smooth (ish) but not very flat. It dips down in the centre and is high on the long outside edges. There is as much as 1/4 inch of material in places to be removed before serious finishing.  The tool for removing that much wood is a plane, power makes it faster and easier. All the big names make a power planer, traditionally the tool has two 3 1/2 inch blades, spinning 20,000+ rpm.


 My power planer is not from a 'big' name.  I bought it at a wood show out of a clearance bin for $10.00.  It is too short, has an incredibly fussy two stage safety switch and appalling ergonomics, I would not recommend this tool to anyone, unless it was $10.00.  I can see why it was being heavily discounted and cleared.  If it quits working I will replace it promptly with a Makita, Bosch, DeWalt, Porter Cable or what everI do not endorse or necessarily agree with everything said in the fore going article, but it is a place to begin your enquiries if you are thinking about getting a power plane.  I would never use a tool like this for fine work, but it is great for hogging material away and for smoothing rough end grain as long as you pay very close attention, it can plough a divot.

  When my Father quit woodworking I got some of his tools. My Dad only ever bought the heaviest most robust tools. He either (and often) did without or bought a tool with a lifetime's use in mind.  The 7 inch grinder I inherited weighs as much as a summer cottage. I have never replaced the 24 grit disk that came with it but.....man oh man it clears material nearly as fast as it makes my back ache.


   This grinder is a Sears Craftsman from 35 years ago.  That was when Craftsmen tools were a serious tool supplier. I can fill the air in my shop with a blinding dust storm in no time with this beast. If it quit I would replace it too, a 3 1/2 inch grinder is for other things. 

  Lucky thing I have a fairly large air filter in my shop.

cheers ianw

   



No comments:

Post a Comment