Friday, April 19, 2019

Pallet Wood, How much to you actually get.

  I have made several things from skid lumber. (several = more that six and less than 12) and a couple of the projects turned out looking pretty good. Other projects were definitely on the rugged side of things.  Aside from the morality of re-using/ up cycling the wood is it worth the trouble?

  I decided this time to actually get a sense of the time and effort it took and what the real result was for my efforts.  I always knew that a percentage of the wood ended up in the fireplace, but how much.

  Last week I went to my Mother's house and with my brother help cut up three skids that had spent the winter on her back deck.  Finally the weather had improved to were things were drying out and working outside wasn't a burden.

  My brother and I cut the skids apart with his cordless recip saw.  It sure is nice not to trip over a cord while you are working.  After dealing with skids on several occasions I've decided it is best to cut the cross pieces free of the middle support, it means fewer nails to worry about.

  So... what did I end up with.


the fire wood pile
   Five of the 2 x 4 pieces didn't come home with me, so they are on my brother's fire place pile.  Some of the wood was quite punk and a couple of pieces were too broken to be useful.

  What is left....


  For the time and effort:

  Five bundles of planks around 16 inches buy 4 to 6 inches and 3/8 think and one bundle of 2 x 4  by 36 inches.  In the end some of the 3/8 boards will be too warped to be useful and others of the boards will be to nasty to be seen, but some of the wood is oak.  The tray of nails will end up in the correct recycling bin now too. 


  The 2 x 4's weighted a tonne so I cut a piece off one board, cleared out the nails and milled it on the jointer.  It is close grained oak, it will be strong and attractive when re-sawn. 

  If you figure this in dollars and cents, it is cheaper to make one trip to a lumber yard but I find satisfaction in re-claiming the wood.  I am also figuring out what to do with the oak it is thick and heavy when I am done with it should look good.

  You will notice the bundles of boards are tied together with green chord.  The green chord is soda bottle cut into long thin strips, tied and then warmed with my paint stripper heat gun so that it shrinks. It means I get at least a second use from a large PEP soda bottle.  

  Happy Easter everyone, I hope you have a quiet and pleasant time with your friends and family.

cheers, ianw
Image result for norwegian easter bunny and chicken

Easter in Norway,
 now I know where the eggs come from.


  






No comments:

Post a Comment