Monday, April 8, 2019

Ongoing Small Shop Projects

  Many of the serious bloggers have large scale impressive projects featured in their blogs and shop videos.  I like bloggers like Wood Working for Mere Mortals which often feature smaller one weekend projects.  My workshop produces lots of planter boxes, storage boxes and book cases.  Also my workshop is used to repair or rebuild wooden items.

  I received a bee house as a gift from my Grand kids last season and it has sat in my shop until today.  Why, it needed to be finished.  The box was raw wood and as such would have lasted two or three seasons at best before disintegrating in our climate. Today I put the first of what will be several thick coats of varnish on my bee house.  Shortly it will go into the garden and provide solitary bees a familiar place which I hope they will inhabit for the coming winter.


  I think a bee house would be a good pallet wood project.

  I also added another coat of varnish onto the table top.


  I am using Varathane Water Based Varnish.  It seems to be okay, it sure is easy to clean up your brushes.  Maybe easy clean up translates into extra coats of finish?!



  This garden fish is to get a new dorsal fin and new paint.  I will spray the back ground colour on and the grand kids can add the details again. 

  The other issue this morning is a knife handle.  I have been given some wonderful deer antler. 


  First I need to select a section to make into a knife handle for Cousin Steve. He has requested something "cool" not necessarily useful.  I'm thinking I need a wee piece of brass for a finger guard.  There is a design floating about in my head, but at this point it is still floating.


  I will take one of these yellow knives apart and put a cool handle on it for Steve.  I bought these knives in Sweden a couple of years ago at a warehouse clearance store. The blades are excellent, the handles, ugly.

  Our weather is improving and bike riding is being added to the agenda, yah!

cheers ianw



  

No comments:

Post a Comment