Monday, April 29, 2019

Finished Projects and the Lessons Learned.




  The first of the finished projects is a prototype  soap dish. I wanted a thing for the bar soap in our bathroom to sit to dry on.  We are trying to reduce plastic and so bar soap is replacing soft soap in plastic bottles. This was a fussy little project with the pieces joined with half lap joints.  As you can see this is a first effort that has room for improvement. What did I learn for next time:

a: elm is a terrible wood for a project like this, it is stringy and splits easily.  I will use something with a fine, straight grain, maybe maple or bass wood next time.

b: material preparation has to be 100% accurate, close is not good enough for the small, tight tolerances of the joints.

c: draw the piece out full size and use it as a template for marking the cuts.

d: only work in very good light.

e: make it smaller

  This a project like carving a spoon, something basic and quiet to do in the evening.

You can see one of last year's wood turning projects in the back ground. One day I will get around to turning a lid for the shaving soap holder.

  The other project is a turning project.


  I turned a clarinet stand for a friend that plays in the Hamilton Concert Band with me. The base unscrews so as not to take up too much space in your music bag.  It is amazing how much wood dust fills the air when using a lathe. When I have sanded the piece to shape I wax it on the lathe.  The base is cut from a three part piece I glued together and mostly used on a jewelry box. The left over finally found a use, years later. 


  Now when my friend sets her clarinet down while looking for music or taking a drink there is far less chance that it will fall over
.

   I like to make things that have a use.




clarinet is COOL!




  


No comments:

Post a Comment