Wednesday, January 9, 2019

Second Puzzle

  It appears as though we have returned to our regular schedule this week.  Eva is off to her various activities as am I. Maybe some things will get done in the shop now.  Though there is not really a major project on the horizon.

  When there is not a major ongoing project there are always little things that need doing.  Yesterday I did some maintenance and clean up in the shop.  One of the things I did was change the sand paper on my sanding board. 


  This board is a shop made jig that is over a decade old.   At that time I was able to buy very cheap some very good quality sanding belts on which the glue had fatigued.  The belts were no good on a belt sander any longer, the belts blew apart almost immediately, but, the quality of the grit is excellent.  Yesterday I changed the belt after many years of regular use.  I like using this for sanding small work pieces that are difficult to hold when they  need to be touched up or squared.  This way I don't have to risk my fingers near an angry belt sander.

  I was using this sanding board while making my latest wooden puzzle.


  I liked the puzzle pattern enough that I made this version from oak instead of left over pallet and made a frame in which to built it too.  I think this could be used as a trivet for a hot tea pot as well as a toy. This one is a better size being basically 5 x 5 inches.  The frame was sanded after this photo and painted so that it makes a fairly nice presentation.   I guess now days the pieces would be cut by a CNC type machine, okay, I guess.  I can see an application for a CNC machine in a production shop but I don't need one.

  We were blessed with an enjoyable and safe holiday and are looking forward to a happy and healthy new year and wish the same for you too.

cheers, ianw 

   


No comments:

Post a Comment