Tuesday, January 1, 2019

January 1st 2019

  Happy New Year one and all.

  Over the holidays I have been able to work on one project.  I saw a pattern for a wooden puzzle on Pinterest and decided to make a prototype from available material. ( skid wood)
  The first thing I did was make a full size pattern.


  The puzzle is an 8 by 8 square.  It turned out to be a band saw project for the most part.  I ripped a board three inches wide and cut the three square pieces, and then two inches etc...



  Once sanded I stained and varnished the pieces slightly different colours at random. If the wood were nicer I would make a frame and have the puzzle as a coffee table ornament, perhaps.  These pieces will instead get put into bag. One thing I did was stamp how many pieces completed the puzzle (13) and what shape it is to be 8 x 8. Knowing how many pieces make up the puzzle at clean up time a piece is less likely to get forgotten. ( I hope) My grand kids like puzzles, though my wife found it a bit of a challenge to assemble when she tried the other day, they can try it next time they're here.

  It is now going to a quiet couple of days before the typical routines resume, and I am going to take advantage of the quiet to read, listen to music and putter about.

 I hope you had a good holiday season and are looking forward to a fine 2019.

cheers, ianw



No comments:

Post a Comment