Saturday, January 12, 2019

Long, long chair rail

 Some time ago I had  a brain wave and decided to protect the walls of our living room, dining room with a hand carved chair rail.  The first section, amazingly was finished and installed in May 2018.  The second section had proven to be slower in coming.  

 There are several reasons it has taken so long, none of which are good reasons.  Some of the reasons were busy summers, motorcycle riding, yard work and lack of inspiration.  After having made a 48 inch chair rail, carved, sanded, painted and installed the second section proved to hold no special attractions.  Especially as the effect, being nearly invisible, was quite successful.  Part two was carved a while ago and I just finished the sanding today. The major reason it took so long, is that it is so long


  This rail is 90 inches long, it hangs over my work table regardless of what I do and requires that I have my work space in good order before I even begin working on it.  (you know, my work space is seldom in good order)

  However, there turned out to be a hidden bonus in my sloth.  When carving basswood it is a good idea to not have it too dry.  When I work on a serious relief carving I usually cover the board for a day or two with a damp cloth and try to keep the wood from getting totally dried out between sessions.  Chisels just seem to track better in slightly dampened wood.  When it comes to the finally sanding stage, as today, dry is very best.  My 400 grit paper raised baby powder like dust and the end result it glass smooth.  

  I will try and plan ahead for my coming carving projects so that there is time for the wood to really dry out before final sanding.  I like to imagine that I will evolve as a wood worker and begin planning my efforts weeks in advance. (I also like to imaging world peace, just as likely).

  It does feel good to get a 90 inch monkey out of the shop. I think it is time to turn my attention to a couple of tables.

cheers, ianw

No comments:

Post a Comment