Saturday, July 7, 2018

Two Weeks away from the Shop

 So for two weeks I haven't posted anything.  That does not mean that I have been sitting in the shade drinking Mint Juleps. Well, in fact I had a Mint Julep last Thursday evening, oh my goodness it went down smoothly. It was an evening of decadence, I also ate four different kinds of home made ice cream/sherbet.  My host, the ice cream maker, recommended "The Perfect Scoop" as his ice recipe book. I have it on order from our local library.

  What else?  I spent a week riding my motorcycle around Muskoka and the Haliburtion HIghlands in fabulous weather. I can not recommend those regions of Ontario highly enough. My family is from Bracebridge, though I've never lived there and so can not claim to be perfectly objective.  As a foot note there is an excellent bakery in Dwight Ontario called Erika's, outstanding donuts. 

  Anyway, what else?  Gardening, it's a jungle out there, and we love it.  

  Wood working, well, whittling while enjoying quiet evenings on Lake of Bays.



  That is my Mora 511 carbon steel knife and the two projects that I whittled while sitting on the porch after my rides.  I found a piece of dry white cedar and went with the grain .  All I needed aside from the knife was a sheet of 80 grit and a sheet of 150 grit sand paper.  My grand daughters found the two ended spoon a bit odd but it was inspired by 'the daily spoon' My plan for the wooden knife is to make it into a letter opener knife by chemically hardening the blade with epoxy or something similar. I still get some snail mail. 

  Otherwise I have  just been puttering around and enjoying the summer weather,  that has finally arrived. 

   


  One day I am going to have a reason to make a boat like this. One day.

  I hope you are enjoying your summer and are out in the fresh air and sunshine whenever possible.

cheers ianw










No comments:

Post a Comment