Monday, July 16, 2018

Train is Done....

  Over the past few weeks I have not been very active in my shop.  In the cool of the evening I putter around for a bit but mostly my energy is spent in the garden, on the motorcycle and/or trying to stay cool.
  That doesn't mean that there has been nothing going on. Last week my buddy with the crazy truck,


Image result for pinzgauer

  helped me bring home six oak pew backs from our church.  The wooden pews are being replaced by much more comfortable chairs.


  I now have six pieces of oak 10 feet by 2 feet by 3/4 inch.  This wood has been cured for fifty years so I have no concern about cracking.  What I will do with all the wonderful wood, I haven't decided yet but what a wind fall for my shop.

  Also I finished off a smaller project.

 Two serious coats of Minwax wood hardener and my envelop knife is ready for prime time.

 The biggest project that has been drifting around my shop was the train shaped planters.



  The engine is 22 inches long and 8 inches wide, as is the freight car that 


will follow the coal tender.  The coal tender is 11 inches long.  I am pleased with most aspects of this build, except the wheels.  Or more accurately the way that the wheels attach to the cars.


  If I were to make another version of this I would still use cedar, (good for the out doors and my favourite wood with which to work.)  The process of glue and dowels I would keep too.  If all else fails this project won't have rust streaks showing .  Since the wheels are just for show I would have made them from thinner material and created a more light weight under carriage.  

  I think the planters will do okay in varnished wood this season but will need to be painted in the future and a good paint job will make for more of a train look.

  Cut out and waiting are bed pieces for my Grand daughter's stuffy, Bella Bunny.  When they get here later today she and I'll assemble the bed for Bella. I love grand children making things,

cheers, ianw

   





No comments:

Post a Comment