Saturday, May 19, 2018

Cleaning Up a Small Mess

 The mess, the problem.  That window sill had become a hopeless mess and I couldn't  open the window any longer.


   For several years loose dowels have collected on the window sill in my shop.  Initially it wasn't a big deal and I could still open the window to let in fresh air and/or let out smelly chemical air.  As often happens, a short term stop gap measure becomes standard operating procedure, but eventually  the system breaks down. Not only that, it looked like crap.

  After a bit of planning, measuring, and drawing a plan I gathered together various bits of wood.   This project was not made from the scrap cut off bin, but very nearly.


  I decided to make a three section storage bin from skid wood and some plywood.  The bin is 24 inches, 12 inches, 6 inches tall, 12 inches wide and 6 inches deep.  I made the bin so that it would still sit on the window sill.  

  
 

    I find that every time I buy dowel I have a bit left over, that I can't bear to throw away.   The plastic bin on the left contains bits of copper pipe, brass, and other none wood items.  Now this is a useful and organized space, the window can be opened with ease and while I was at it I even  washed the glass.  

   You can see on the right one of four bins containing pieces of wood too large to throw out, but too small to be useful.  I am working on over coming my 'wood' addiction, but it is tough.  I never look at a little piece of wood that I don't think it could one day use it for something.  Ultimately the wood will end up in a fire pit, I just need to accept that reality and get rid of the bits, I might discover that my shop is really quite large and comfortable.  That will be embarrassing....

  cheers, ianw





No comments:

Post a Comment