Monday, May 14, 2018

Carved Rail

  Yesterday I had help to get the refinished table out of the shop and into the dining room

  The table doesn't look fabulous but it is fine as the second table. Interestingly the table sits between my version of the Tripp-Trapp chair and the grand daughter clock upon which I have yet to repair. 

  

  The first section of the chair rail is complete and installed.  The rail is almost invisible, unless you focus on it purposely which is the plan.

  The next part of this project is.... seven feet long.


    The real challenge with this job is maintaining interest.  I have a timer that I set when I begin carving since it is a sitting down task. I try to only carve for an hour at a time to keep my back pain at a minimum.  This morning I carved for an hour...I think there is 10 or 12 hours of carving ahead of me plus the time for sanding and painting.  I am thinking this is a three week project at my work pace. 

  

   There are very few tools needed to do this large relief carving. I begin by laying down relief cuts with my straight knife. Second I use a narrow gouge to cut away material near the relief lines and then I move to wider and more shallow gouges to get a smoother and finer finish.  The more careful my carving, the less time will be spent sanding.

  cheers, ianw





No comments:

Post a Comment