Friday, December 15, 2017

Back from the South and Working on Christmas and snow

 We had a wonderful time in Mexico with our two oldest Grandchildren last week.  I took the week off, though there was some interesting wood related things to see at the Marina El Cid in Porto Morales.  I will share some photos another time.

  It is time to talk about work shop tools and an obvious trick that took me years to learn.

  First, snow, snow is falling and I've had to run my snow blower for four days in a row.  


My Second Favourite Honda

 Needless to say my Honda Silver Wing is my favourite Honda but in this season the blower trumps the Maxi-Scooter.

Image result for honda silverwing 650

  The other two important pieces of snow removal equipment are of interest to the 'mature' house holder.  For those of you from warmer climates the biggest aggravation of snow removal is when the snow plough comes by and fills in the end of your driveway with wet heavy snow/slush/sandy crud.  For years I struggled to break my way through the deposit until I had a small brain storm. (before having a small heart attack).

  In my previous house I had a garden with sandy soil that was very easy to work by hand. At that time I bought a large heavy hoe.


  The hoe had no use in our new house with its small flower gardens until I was battling the frozen snow left by the plough.  I use this hoe to hack the heavy snow into bite size pieces and have the blower toss the debris out of the way.  
or
  If the snow is too nasty and clumped for the blower I use a garden shovel and treat the mess just like sand or gravel.


  It seems obvious now but when I think of the times I struggled with a snow shovel, (too wide and awkward ) before I just went back to the proper tooll for shovelling  heavy dense materials. 

  When I post this blog I will be heading out to run the blower through the newly fallen snow while it is light and easy to move.

  cheers, ianw 





  

No comments:

Post a Comment